What the pho?
Pho is a dish popular across the world. It can be such a different soup based on the regions. Northern Vietnam’s rendition is very different from the Southern style. This is a wartime soup. It developed over time because just like any cuisines, food changes as it travels. In northern Vietnam the pho is more focused on the broth. The further south we go we start to see the addition of more toppings and herbs. This is the type we are generally more familiar with in the U.S.A
Beef Short Rib Pho
- 1 Stock Pot
- 1 Fine Mesh Strainer
- 6 # Beef Bones
- 6 Each Bone in Beef Short Rib
- 5 Inch Ginger knob, spit and charred
- 1 Each Yellow Onion split and charred
- 7 Quarts Water
- 1/4 Cup Fish Sauce squid brand
- 7 Each Star Anise, Whole toasted
- 1 Teaspoon Clove, Whole toasted
- 9 Each Cardamom Pod toasted
- 2 Each Cinnamon Stick toasted
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Salt kosher
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar white, granulated
Hoisin BBQ Glaze
- 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Sriracha Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice fresh
- 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce squid brand
- 1.5 Pounds Rice Noodles 4 ounces per person
- As Needed Cilantro
- As Needed Thai Basil
- As Needed Lime Wedges
- As Needed Chili Oil
- As Needed Bean Sprout
- As Needed Fried Garlic
- As Needed Scallion sliced
- Purge the bones in boiling water for 5 minutes. Strain off the liquid and rinse the bones under cool running water.
- Put the bones back into the pot and add water. Bring liquid to a low simmer.
- Char onions and ginger and add it to the pot.
- Toast all the spices and add to the pot.
- Season the stock with sugar, salt, and fish sauce. (MSG optional)
- Simmer broth for at least 7 hours.
- Strain the stock and reserve all the beef.
Glazed Short Rib
- Chill the short rib after braising it in the pho broth for 3-4 hours.
- Place on a baking tray and coat with the hoisin bbq sauce.
- Bake in a 300 F oven for 1 hour, glazing every 20 minutes.
- Coat the short ribs with crispy garlic and garnish with scallion
Hoisin BBQ Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a pot, boil water. Blanch the Pho Noodles for 10-15 seconds. If using dried noodles soak them in cool water for at least 1 hour.
- In a bowl add the noodles and the hot broth. Garnish with the short rib and other garnishes. Optional, serve with hoisin and chili oil or sriracha.